Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pot Meet Kettle

I heard this morning that the Wisconsin State Senate Republicans passed the controversial bill to ban collective bargaining for public employees.  They did this quite slyly, removing the budget aspects of the bill that would have required Democrats to be present.  Might I say they are forcing this bill upon a populace that doesn't want it?  The large demonstrations in the capitol and elsewhere as well as multiple opinion polls showed that a majority of the people in Wisconsin did not support this bill.

I am saddened to hear that it passed because I fear it does not bode well for the plight of public sector employees in other states, and really all employees, if it becomes law.  More than this though I am flabbergasted by the Republicans' hypocrisy.  It seems not so very long ago that I heard national Republican leaders decrying the President and Democratic majority in Congress for "forcing" the Healthcare Reform Act on a "disapproving" American populace. 

Whether we're talking about national, state, or local politics, I think that if you're going to get on your high horse about the responsibilities of the majority, you really should practice what you preach.  Rather than "ramming" an unwanted bill down your constituents' throats, why not work towards some honest, fair compromise?  I hope the Wisconsin Assembly will act with less duplicity than the Senate Republicans.  I hope they will listen to what the people are telling them and consider a reasonable compromise to solve the state's budget woes while still protecting the collective bargaining rights of public employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment