Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bean Burrito Soup

This is a really simple recipe that captures the spirit of Lenten food.  It arose from a modified recipe the results of which I did not anticipate.  I started out to make a leek and potato soup that I have made many times.  Then, because I've already been getting complaints of people feeling bad from not having enough protein, I thought I'd add some beans.  My initial plan had been to add great northern or some other white beans, but not finding them in my pantry, I turned to some pinto beans.  I had not thought ahead to how that would affect the look of the soup until it was too late.  So, I continued on with a brown soup expecting the worst when my family saw it.  I was pleasantly surprised when the girls finished their bowls with only a few grimaces, and DH asked for seconds of the "Bean Burrito Soup."  So, here it is...

Ingredients
3-4 medium potatoes, cubed
1 large leek, sliced
1.5 cups of dry pinto beans, rinsed & soaked
1 T salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1-2 dashes garlic powder
water or vegetable broth
hot sauce (optional)
cheddar cheese (optional)

Toss everything into a large pot, and cover with water or broth.  Cook until the beans are soft (30 minutes in a pressure cooker, 1.5 hours otherwise).  Puree in batches until smooth, adding extra water if it gets too thick. 

DH wanted hot sauce, especially a Mexican habanero variety.  The girls had cheddar.

No comments:

Post a Comment