Saturday, September 22, 2012

American-Style Gyros

Anyway, I had some leftover sour cream a couple of weeks ago, and no idea what to do with it.  So, I did a search for entrees with sour cream.  Of those I found I decided to try a recipe for "gyro burgers"  with a sour cream based sauce (I can't find my source now!).  

Well, DH, who is always honest about what he likes and doesn't like, informed me that this was a miss, but could be a hit with some tweaks.  The first step was to break up the burger patty and simply use ground beef (we're not really big lamb eaters).  So, I searched all over the internet for recipes to make an American-style Gyro with ground beef and a truly Greek sauce.

Here's what I came up with by pulling ingredient ideas from several sources.  I've linked the main ones I used for the base.

For the meat combine & brown:
  • 1 lb ground meat
  • 2 tsp. oregano (dried)
  • 2 cloves of crushed fresh garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 T lemon juice

For the sauce combine:
  • 8 oz Greek yogurt
  • 2 T red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp oregano (dried)
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
  • dash of salt
  • t/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 T lemon juice

Extras:
  • Slice onions and cucumbers
  • Grill pitas & fill with meat, sauce, veggies

The meat, pita, and onions were a hit with DH (the girls preferred cucumbers over onions).  The sauce was okay, but still seemed to be lacking.  I had run out of time to try pureeing and juicing a cucumber to add to the sauce.  This may be my only failing it, but I wouldn't doubt if there are more things lacking.  So, does anyone have suggestions for an authentic sauce to add to my gyro burgers?  We definitely want to try this again.

I realize that most of my links are actually to souvlaki recipes because until I started typing this I didn't have a clear distinction in my mind of the difference between souvlaki and gyros, which I guess is basically the shape of the meat...

No comments:

Post a Comment