Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Holy Wednesday

Bridegroom Matins are my favorite Holy Week services, and near the top of my all year list. These are poorly attended services, which makes them all the more special to me. A quiet somberness and the waning daylight make a perfect setting for reflection.

The warning in this troparion is a much needed reminder for me.
Behold, the Bridegroom comes at midnight, and blessed is the servant whom He shall find watching; and again unworthy is the servant whom He shall find heedless. Beware, therefore, O my soul, do not be weighed down by sleep, lest you be given up to death and lest you be shut out of the Kingdom. But rouse yourself crying: "Holy! Holy! Holy art Thou, O our God. Through the Theotokos, have mercy on us.

And then I am lifted up by the subdued hopefulness of the exaposteilarion.
Thy bridal chamber I see adorned, O my Savior, and I have no wedding garment that I may enter. O Giver of Light, enlighten the vesture of my soul and save me.



I did get a little miracle last night. After a noisy Monday and a rough start to last night's matins, two little girls fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment