Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Breakfast to Finish the Fast



I realize I didn't post nearly as many Lenten recipes as I thought I would.  Here's a great Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin recipe that I adapted years ago from a basic banana bread.  It is a hit with the kids, and I often bake these to give to new neighbors, who love them, too.

Ingredients
3 ripe bananas
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/8 cup sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp salt (omit if not using sugar)
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 baking soda

1/4 - 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup oil or tahini

If you have a large Kitchen-aid mixer, you can throw everything in and mix.  If not, mash the bananas in a small bowl.  Mix the dry ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients and bananas, and mix.  Pour into 12 muffin cups, and bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes (I don't preheat).

I no longer use sugar because we've been trying to cut out refined sugar. These are still a hit with the kids because the bananas with the bit of chocolate chips really give it a sweet punch.  The walnuts are a great source of omega 3s, but if you don't like them, you can substitute ground flax seed (I do about 1 tablespoon) for a tasteless source of omega 3s.

No comments:

Post a Comment