Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dormition Craft with Video


The Dormition of Mary, the Mother of God, is an opportunity for us to remember a woman who said "yes" to God.  Mary obeyed God's will for her despite her fears and doubts, despite how difficult saying "yes" would make her life.  She is an example for us all of how we, mere humans, can lay aside our will and accept the will of God. 

I am a perpetual planner.  I want to know what's going to happen and organize how it will happen.  When things are uncertain, it is very difficult for me to accept them.  It is difficult for me to accept that even though the path ahead looks scary and fraught with danger, God is guiding me and has a plan for me if only I will accept it.  I am not always a good example to my children on how to be obedient to God.  I am grateful that the Virgin Mary committed herself to carrying out God's will, so that even when I fail, I know of a perfect role model for my children.

As we teach our children about the life, death, and assumption of Mary into Heaven, what better way for them to remember and cherish her than with a 4x6 framed icon of the Dormition.

Supplies:
Blue craft foam (2 5.5x8.5 inch pieces)
Craft foam in your color choice
4-6 pieces of blue tissue paper in 4.5x2 inch strips
Twist tie, cut in half
Scissors, paper cutter, and/or Xacto knife
Glue
Embellishments
Paper of your choice
Icon print of the Dormition

Directions:
1. Cut a rectangle large enough for your icon to show through in one piece of blue foam.  Put glue on three edges and press together with the second piece of blue foam.  Insert icon through the open frame edge.  Then, glue that edge, too.
2. Stack the tissue paper and fold accordion style and tie the twist tie around the center.  Gently pull up one sheet at a time to form a flower. Glue the flower to one corner of the frame.
3. Using this template cut a crown out of the last piece of foam. Decorate the crown with sequins, gemstones, glitter glue, or other embellishments.  Glue the crown to the frame.
4. Cut out title caption from template, and glue on the top or bottom edge of the frame.

Instructional Video

No comments:

Post a Comment