Thursday, August 9, 2012

Upcycled T-shirt Bag

It's been awhile -- quite the crazy summer -- but I'm back with an easy sewing project.

The girls have been attending a great Vacation Church School program this week.  Each child was given a t-shirt with the week's theme on it.  Sadly, Bumble Bee's is too big, and the logo is upside down.  So, she has been refusing to wear it.  I can't really blame her for that.  So, I thought this was going to be a wasted shirt, until I had an epiphany at bedtime last night.  If I sew across the top and add some ribbon for straps, it would be a nice bag with the logo right side up!

This would be a good use for any too small t-shirts you hate to part with.  So, here's how I did it.

Finished Bag
What you need:
a t-shirt
yardstick or ruler
light marker
ribbon
velcro (optional)
sewing supplies
1. Fold over the sleeves.   If they are bulky, trim first.
2. Use a yardstick & marker to draw a straight line across the top of the shirt beneath the collar and size information.  You'll need this to sew a straight line since the top of the shirt is curved.
3. Sew across the top.  Then, sew down the sides in a straight line from the sleeve seams.
4.  Cut two strips of ribbon to desired strap length, and fold the edges under.  Sew one to the front hem and one to the back hem.
5. Sew a bit of velcro to the middle of the hem (or use stickable velcro).
6. I haven't done this, but I'm considering adding some fusible interfacing for extra stiffness.

 It occurs to me, I also could have made a throw pillow...

3 comments:

  1. Cute and a good idea! I can't believe the logo was *upside down* - how on earth did that happen? I hope Bumble enjoys her bag. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm told the upside down logos on some shirts are the result of "pregnancy brain." I can totally understand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete